March 1, 2021: Community association leaders and managers have been asking if the NC Governor Cooper would extend the ability to hold electronic membership meetings beyond March 1. The answer as of today is “yes.”
On December 31, 2020, Governor Cooper issued Executive Order #185 entitled Extending Prior Executive Orders on Remote Shareholder and Nonprofit Meetings During the COVID-10 State of Emergency. EO #185 extended earlier orders allowing for nonprofit membership meetings to meet virtually so long as certain conditions are met. However, Executive Order #185 had a expiration date of this coming Monday, March 1.
A separate Executive Order #195 was issued this past week that increases the maximum number of people who can attend an in-person association meeting to 25 for indoor meetings and 50 for outdoor meetings. Since most associations have more members than that, virtual member meetings will be needed a while longer. However, there were questions about whether Executive Order #185 would be extended beyond March 1. That question has now been answered. Our office talked with the Governor’s Office this week and was notified last night that Executive Order #185 has been extended again by Executive Order #198. This latest EO will continue to allow virtual nonprofit member meetings through Monday, May 10 (unless the Declared State of Emergency is rescinded earlier).
The steps and processes for holding a proper electronic membership meetings are very detailed. These prior articles on virtual association meetings may be of help:
- Yes, You Can Hold a Productive North Carolina Annual HOA/Condo Meeting During a Pandemic – 1/21/2021
- New NC Executive Order Extends Ability to Hold Electronic Membership Meetings – 1/1/2021
- New NC Executive Order Extends Virtual Membership Meetings Through December 29 – 10/30/2020
- NC Executive Order Again Extends Electronic Membership Meetings – 8/31/2020
- New NC Executive Order Again Allows Electronic Nonprofit Membership Meetings – 7/3/2020
- COVID-19 Update: North Carolina to Remain in Phase 2, Additional Restrictions – 6/24/2020
A link to Executive Order #198 can be found here: Reissuing Prior Executive Orders on Remote Shareholder and Nonprofit Meetings During the COVID-10 State of Emergency.
Content provided by Jim Slaughter of Law Firm Carolinas. Original article can be found here.
If your community has questions regarding the latest executive order on virtual meetings or needs guidance in setting up and running virtual meetings, please reach out to the experts at CAMS today via our website or at 877.672.2267.